Geezers In Arms|Site Info
Main Forum

HDD Cloning

5 replies
163 posts
+5 votes
So my new hard drive showed up and I want to clone it. I've never cloned a hard drive before and am looking for suggestions. I've installed them but always after they failed, so I know most of the process.
595645.png
Posted Mar 6, 13 · OP
0  votes
247 posts
+4 votes
A few months ago I had to clone my 1.5 TB hdd down to a 1 TB, and amazingly it was not a disaster. I'm going to assume that your new drive is bigger than your original one, though.

If you do some googling there's a lot of good information out there. I found a combination using GParted and Clonezilla to be quite effective, and they're both free!
Steam: DrPreceptron
Battle net (SC2): DrPreceptron.557
Path of Exile: SheeanaAtredies
Posted Mar 7, 13
0  votes
163 posts
+5 votes
Thanks, I'll check those out. My new drive is the same size, it just needs to be replaced.
595645.png
Posted Mar 7, 13 · OP
0  votes
KAZUYA a
6433 posts
+358 votes
CloneZilla is an ok program
kazny2.jpg
Xbox - KAZUY4 | Origin - KAZUY4 | | Steam - ORCMASTA | Battlenet - KAZ#1110 |
Twitter - @TheGameHuntah | Twitch - TheGameHuntah | Youtube - TheGameHuntah
Posted Mar 7, 13
0  votes
3828 posts
+266 votes
I used to use Norton Ghost, it has been a few years since then, and I'm sure there are many other options out there nowadays.

- Mutt
BNet Tag : Muttley716#1793
Xbox Live : Muttley716
Origin : Muttley716
STEAM : Dogzilla716

328556.png
Posted Mar 7, 13
0  votes
163 posts
+5 votes
I'll check out Norton Ghost too, I'm doing a lot of reading before I do it to make sure I don't screw it up. I just reinstalled everything and really don't want to do that again.
DrPreceptron wrote:
A few months ago I had to clone my 1.5 TB hdd down to a 1 TB, and amazingly it was not a disaster. I'm going to assume that your new drive is bigger than your original one, though.

If you do some googling there's a lot of good information out there. I found a combination using GParted and Clonezilla to be quite effective, and they're both free!

I just hate doing random Google searches because every product claims that it is the best so I really like to talk to people who have done it before. I like newegg, Amazon, and GIA because I can get user reviews on stuff, which has always been the most helpful way for me to shop. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
595645.png
Posted Mar 8, 13 · OP · Last edited Mar 8, 13
0  votes

GIA Store

Buy your gear today!

Announcement of